[TowerTalk] MF-259B

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MF-259B
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:27:17 -0700
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:10:35 -0400
From: <caraj@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Uses of MFJ 259B

Kostas:
The MFJ 259 has measures many functions.
It measures just about all transmission line equation parameters and the
alterations caused by loads - antennas.
Here's its parameter list and how to move to them.

Capacitance
Inductance
Frequency Counter

John, K2SFS

## here's   what it  won't do.

## it's a dead loss  when measuring inductance and Capacitance.  I Tried using
it to make tank coils for
hb linears, and it's out to lunch, not even close.  3 x mfj's  were tried.

##  I use a B+K  875-B   for accurate L + C  measurements.  Then everything is
dead on per the spread sheet.

##  They warn you not to inject a signal into it, for freq counter purposes, if
the
unit is not powered up.  You will damage the unit.

##  The optional grid dip coils won't dip anything, even a simple parallel
resonant circuit.  Several friends also
commented they too, couldn't grid dip anything.  Even W8JI  says they don't
work.   I use a real GDO.

##  everything else seems to work fairly well on the 259.

later........ Jim   VE7RF