Re: [TowerTalk] MF-259B

To: towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MF-259B
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:05:54 -0400
> I found that it compares favorably with a capacitance/inductance meter if
> the MFJ is use in that manor.

I don't have another meter, but I use  my MFJ-259B to measure inductances
and capacitances and I find that it works well and compares favorably with
calculated values of inductance and labeled values of capacitance.

Inductance and capacitance measurement is probably the thing that I use mine
for most, when I'm building matching networks, etc.

It doesn't work well to measure large or tiny reactances.  In fact, I think
I've heard you'll get the *best* results if the reactance is something in
the vicinity of 50 ohms.

What I usually do in practice is do a quick frequency sweep looking for any
weirdness.  There's usually a band of frequencies where the meter will
report a value of inductance or capacitance that changes very little with
frequency, and that's what I look for.

I think that range happens when the reactance is not too big or small.