Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch motor power

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch motor power
From: Commtekman@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:10:50 EDT
Norm,
Great idea on the grounding, I had not thought of that and I have been
using PP motors since the late
50's. Thank you for the info-

Bob K6OSM

In a message dated 3/16/2010 10:02:50 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
NPAlex@aol.com writes:

There were several good responses to the question below - I  have been
using
a prop pitch motor rotator for nearly 40 years with  great  success.  Most
power supplies are located in the shack  and feed cable wire  size is a key
part of the supply voltage  equation.  My power supply  delivers about 30
volts at the  source and drops to 22-23 volts at the  motor.   I now use a
Green
Heron/ K7NV controller and with the pulse  width ramp up and  down of
source
voltage solves the inertia problem of large   arrays.

There is a trick of wiring that can reduce the voltage  drop to the motor
for tower base mounted power supplies, and also  works for shack located
supplies.  The prop pitch motor is a  three wire device, common lead with a

forward and reverse set of  leads.  The common lead can be grounded to the
tower
at the PPM  end and the power supply end as well.  If you ground the  coax
shields at the top of the tower and again at the base of the tower  (good
practice for lightning protection) they two will form a  parallel
conductive
path  along with the tower itself to the common  wire lead.  This can
significantly reduce the voltage drop of  the total feed line.  If the
power  supply
is in the shack,  connect the common to your coax grounds.

Norm  W4QN

In a  message  dated 3/14/2010 9:58:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,