Re: [TowerTalk] Help with tower ID

To: David Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with tower ID
From: yetiguy@earthlink.net
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
All,

This looks very much like my 4-section, tilt-over, Tristao Tower, 71 feet high
(20-foot sections). The shelves are identical. The lifting cable pulley cages
are identical. The rungs are identical. Even the welds look identical. However,
my Tristao has only horizontal rungs (but no diagonal bracing), and it does
have guy loops (three chain links) welded on at each section.  It does require
guying, at the 20', 37', 54', and 71' levels.

I'd guess that diagonal braces would be added for an unguyed, self-supporting
tower. Just my guess.

Tristao intended that safety bars be installed as this tower is cranked up.
Three bars under each of the three upper sections.  As you crank up, the top
section (lightest) shoots up first, and so on.  After the third section is
fully "up", the last set of safety bars is inserted, and the tower is lowered a
couple of inches onto the safety bars, and taking the load off the lifting
cable. Then, the guy tension is taken up. I think Tristao recommend 75 lbs
tension on each of three guys (at 120-degress spacing)for each of the four
levels. Don't use this figure unless you verify it with me: I'll actually look
it up.

I think that Tristao Towers was sold to U.S.Towers c1980.

I have some pictures of my tower I can send if it will help: shoot me an email
address.

Dennis, K6IFB
(510) 219-9212 MDT