Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:40:58 EDT
This is the reason I added protectors to my telephones, especially the
cordless and the answering machine. As the phone wires are not next to the
power  wires, there is a high possibility you end up with a major voltage
difference  between the telephone wires an the house wires.
Hans - N2JFS
In a message dated 3/19/2010 10:04:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, writes:

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
> The prior comments indicate that  having MOVs at the service entrance is
> way to go to get "whole  house" protection.  There are a number of
> products  available.  I use the following, and have had excellent
Something we have to remember that is often  taken for gospel and that is
the whole house rising to a given voltage  together, which isn't quite
true as it's phrased and isn't true at all in  some older homes.

The entire house does not rise and fall to the same  potential at the
same time!  BUT if all is wired properly the ground,  neutral, and hot
along with telephone and data lines "at any given spot"  (or location)
rise and fall together (more or less) . However the  potential between
this point and one on the other side of the house might  be several
thousand volts. An important point though is that when "induced  voltage"
from a nearby strike is taken into account there may be  substantial
differences between the different  wires.

Roger (K8RI)