Thanks to everyone who help with my problem. I did make that trip to
ACE and got some great help from the staff.
First the bolts that were supplied are indeed a 5/16" x 18 at 1 5/8"
long. With the help of a magnifier and some sharp lighting we inspected
the threads and they looked complete to the inside end of the casting,
We tired a 1 5/8" from ACE and got the same results, started to bind at
about 1". We tried a 1 1/4" length and got close to full turn in but no
cigar. A 1" would easily screw in. So I bought both a 1" and a 1 1/4"
and will await a call back from the manufacturer and ask for there
The 1 1/4" should work since the mounting plate is 3/16 to 1/4" plus we
have a locking washer under the bolt head.
It appears that the inner ring was not drilled out enough or tapped to
allow the bolt to extend deep enough, however the casting was completely
threaded. Just may have to send the new unit back and wait on a new one.
If indeed the 1 1/4" tightens as expected then I can not see where any
additional strength comes to having the bolt go beyond the cast section.
Again thanks to everyone whom responded, lots of great ideas and help.
On 3/21/2010 9:21 AM, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>> Bill Aycock wrote:
>>> The owners manual says the bolts are 5/16-18, 1 5/8 long. The manual
>>> shows a diagram with some unthreaded length.
>> It's the hole that needs to be threaded all the way through. Normally
>> the unthreaded portion of a bolt is smaller than the threaded portion.
> Sounds to me like something has been changed in the manufacturing
> process for the T2x.
> I bought one about 6 years ago and have had the exact opposite
> problem... the bolts will not
> stay tight.
> A few months after I installed the rotor I got home from work one day
> and my XYL handed me
> a bolt and said she found it in the yard. I knew exactly where it
> came from and went up the tower
> to check it out. Only two bolts were still in the rotor. All had
> been installed properly with lock washers.
> The two still in the rotor were loose. After a thorough search I
> found the missing bolts and reinstalled
> Over the next couple of years I had to re-tighten the bolts once or
> twice a year. I finally used liberal
> amounts of RED Locktite on them and have not had any problems since
> then... at least not with mounting bolts.
> 73, Bob, W5AH
TowerTalk mailing list