Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question
From: Timothy Coker <n6win73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:31:14 -0700
I think you mis-read my post. Grease is a form of oil is what I was
referring to. I'd only use grease on a non-sealed system, unless I wanted to
lube it once a week. I remember being taught by an ex-LAPD SWATdog... my
1911 had been lubed with oil only two weeks before the class, then laid in
the safe; he had some interesting incenuations to speak of when he noticed
my gun running dry within the first 50 rounds of class.

Not sure about the 10w50... I'd imagine you'd have a nice pool of 10w50 at
the bottom of the T2X (assuming it's not going to leak out the base). My
basis is when thinking of firearms, engines, etc. I use 15W40 for my diesel
and need the assistance of a pump to spread the oil around the engine, after
gravity has drained it to the sump. My lawn mower relies on the oil being
splashed around to lubricate itself. My guns drain oil to the lowest point
(I've switched to TW25B (elephant sperm as an ex-Delta operator taught me
during a course)) which is a grease.

To sum it up, buy a quality grease that won't dry out too quickly... but I
still have to regrease/pack wheel bearings and my firearms on a consistent
basis. It made me laugh about the rotor being dry after 30 years... I mean,
what grease would I honestly expect to hold up that long?