Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question

To: Charlie Gallo <>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:59:43 -0400

Charlie Gallo wrote:
> On 4/10/2010 Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>> Here's a step-by-step rebuild although it's not a tail twister, but
>> rather the Prosistel PST-61.
> It's funny, just before I got to the part where you added the rubber, I was
> looking at the flange on the output shaft and saying, "You know, if they made
> that larger, I wonder if it's structural?  If nor, I'd turn it off, and put a
> larger flange on there" (how a person with a machine shop things -
> turning/weld/fabricate)
They actually did put a metal cover there on the new ones and I believe
reshaped the top cover as well.  That reinforcement ridge is nothing but
a collection point for water and as you saw, got really expensive.

As for the rubber disks, I wanted to come up with something easy for the
average ham, without a well equipped workshop, to install.

It's one whale of a rotator, but had it been me, I'd have designed that
output shaft differently. Disassembly is not intuitive, particularly
with that snap ring being hidden under RTV.

Roger (K8RI)