[TowerTalk] Finally got the tri-bander down

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Finally got the tri-bander down
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:46:09 -0400
KD8MRC came over today and did the climbing while N8ERF and I served as
gofers. It took about 2 1/2 hours and was a learning experience.

Using the 1/2" braided rope (no twist) and a 4" pulley worked, but I'm
going to turn that into a two pulley trolley. We used to of the 1" nylon
tie down straps, tied each as far out on the boom as he could reach. The
antenna came down level and stable. Unfortunately the single pulley tram
wanted to tilt in-line with the tram line which make it act like a
brake. Hence the reason for wanting to go to the trolley.

It certainly made the work a lot easier.
The only damage to the tribander from setting up there for two years was
the boom where it had been rubbing against the restraints.  Hopefully
the 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi is in good shape as it was still mounted securely.

The next step will be to lower the mast about 3' and then tram the C3i
down. Then lower the mast about 3 to 6' so we can reach the cross boom.
The goal is to remove each of the antennas and lower them down the side
of the tower, one-by-one and then the cross boom.

While I'm waiting for Wayne to find time to come back along with good
weather, (it was almost perfect today, except a bit cool) I'm going to
either replace the one boom section on the tri-bander or sleeve it from
the inside. so it's ready to go up on the 25G at the West end of the shop.

Even if nothing is hooked up, it looks a whale of a lot better without
that tribander setting at an angle.

Sounds like 40's in good shape tonight so I guess it's time to turn the
heat up out in the shop along with warming up the amp.

73

Roger (K8RI)