Re: [TowerTalk] Freestanding tower, narrow city lot

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Freestanding tower, narrow city lot
From: jimlux <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:16:11 -0700
>>From the practical point of view, if there is insufficient space to provide
> a 45 degree angle for the supporting guys for a mast/tower, could the guying
> method used to provide support for a ship or yacht mast be considered?
>       With the restricted beam of a yacht, for example, the mast requires
> considerable support to withstand the forces applied when all the sails are
> rigged and full of wind. A "cross beam" at a point high up on the mast
> allows for the support guys to change direction and be rerouted to fixings
> on either side of the hull. However, not having any experience in sailing or
> boatbuilding, I am not sure of the conditions whereby a yacht can lose a
> mast when under sail. Perhaps we have some marine architects among the group
> who could provide the answers.

Sure.. the tradeoff is that the "base width" of the tower (from stay to
stay) will be wider than for just the mast.  Similar to how a
freestanding tower works.

The loads in the stays and the tower itself will typically be quite
high, compared to a conventional self supporter or a guyed tower.  On a
boat, where there's no choice, you design for it and go ahead.