Re: [TowerTalk] what not to do in your tower

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what not to do in your tower
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:16:52 -0700
W5CPT wrote:
> Bill said>
>
> Why worry about little things like that when you have a key chain  ring
> holding up the tower!
>
> They may not be "key chain rings". When I worked @ Lowe's we sold solid steel
> rings (welded together) that were substantially stronger than key rings. They
> were however (IMHO) NOT strong enough to use as he is.  I don't think they
> were marked with a Maximum or Working load.  They were stocked in the bins
> above the chain.

those are "welded steel rings".. as I recall, the 1/4" diameter ones
(the diameter of the rod they're made of) have a load rating of few
hundred pounds.

Yes, they'll deform under load, but what you're really concerned with is
tension failure of the metal, and that's way above the deformation load.

Yes, they're not typically x-rayed or inspected as far as weld quality
goes. So you'd maybe want to double them up?