Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AV-640 (was GapChallenger ComparisonTesting Studies)
From: "Art Trampler" <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:00:19 -0500
I?m going to beg to differ on the theory of operation of the AV640,
specifically its native impedance and the use of the 4:1 unun (yes, it's
wired as a unun).

The 4:1 is not stepping up from 12.5 to 50 ohms.  It is stepping down from
roughly 200 ohms to 50 ohms.  Yes, the elements are cut at roughly 1/4 wave,
but they are mounted electrically about 1/10 wl above the feed point
yielding a 3/8 wave antenna.

It is thus electrically more akin to a vertically mounted OCF dipole or (in
Hy-Gain's words) Windom.  This is why the native feedpoint impedance is
about 200 ohms.  The R8 is similar (from what I gather designed by the same
person) but feeds at about 220 ohms.  The unun in the R8 is actually
something like 4.4:1. Yes, there it does wind up electrically a bit longer
than the 3/8 wave, hence the series capacitor.

It is the 220 ohm impedance which gives any hope of the 72" counterpoises
being effective from an efficiency standpoint.  If it were really 12.5 ohms
it would be like running an vertical radiator with no radials at all.

I'll also submit that at least according to the manual and my usage, it is
not derated on CW, though for SSTV or RTTY I would agree that it is.  I had
problems with QRO on 40 meters which we traced to an improperly wound
current choke; the windings were bunched together at roughly 5 O'Clock, so
the choke was getting very hot there.  My SWR would climb, so I quickly
lowered it and sure enough had a hot core.

Hy-Gain saw the pictures and supplied a new unit even though it was out of
warranty.  I have no problem running 1500 watts out on 40 or 20 into it and
haven't had the sunspots on other bands to do more than jumping on a new
one.

Now if I'm wrong in my presentation of how it works, so be it--but I'll
refer people to Hy-Gain as this explanation matches theirs.

As for improving it, before Hy-Gain agreed to replace the unit I was going
to go with Balun Designs 4:1, 5KW unun and 1:1 current choke (5KW).  A bit
pricey but I have no doubt they would have worked.

73,
Art, KØRO