[TowerTalk] Lightning Damage and Insurance

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Damage and Insurance
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:34:20 -0700
I'd like to start a new thread but around the lightning damage inputs many
of you have made. I moved a few years ago from Portland OR (close to 0
lightning issues at the location I was in) to the central OR coast (one heck
of a lot more lightning as the storms roll in off the ocean and against the
Coast mtn range), but no strikes. Still maintain the Portland home, but
that's another story.

I have the probably a little better than typical homeowners insurance
(obtained through AARP) but never gave much thought to the issue of what
coverage, if any, there is in the policy that would cover my equipment,
towers or antennas and feedlines.  Response to the one claim I've had as a
result of a severe wind storm here on the coast was handled excellently and
without delay, and the adjustment fairer than I expected. I do intend to
bring the question of station coverage up with the company.

I'd be interested in input from those who have had bad or good insurance
encounters relating to claims involving amateur radio stations.  You may
contact me directly. Don't want to see any insurance company bashing on this
reflector.

Thanks,

Don W7WLL