Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning

To: towertalk@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:29:19 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/2010 4:38:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I don't know why lightning would damage your steel tower  cables.  I
never
replaced my guy wires after a strike.  US  Towers recommends changing
cables
frequently, regardless of lightning, but  very few people do it.

    For one they typically can't - it's not an easy  job.

    Also, the 3-year cable replacement recommended by  UST is a weasel
clause. That is, if you have some semi-fatal problem and you  didn't replace
the
cables, they can weasel out of any responsibility.

    In typical usage, I've never seen crank-up cables  that actually should
have been replaced - even in crank-ups 20 years old and  older.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH