[TowerTalk] New Tower Questions...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Tower Questions...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 09:16:34 -0700
Hello,

I just picked up what I believe is an old Wilson TT-45 tower and 3/4 of
the base section.

The Base part, (not the tower itself), was torched off at the ground
level.  The tower looks to be in great condition, no rust anywhere.

I want to install this tower this summer, next to the house, using a
house bracket, and the existing ground mount which came with teh
tower, if possible.

I can not tell if unit which holds the tower, and allows it to lay down,
was home made, or factory made by Wilson.  It consists of a steel I
beam, with the wench, bottom mounting ears, and top locking ears, all
intact, and in what look to be good shape.  As I said, the bottom of
the I-Beam was torched off the concrete for some reason.

I could get a photo if anyone wants...

In any case, I plan on using the bottom mounting thingy to mount the
tower if possible.  However I have a few questions...

1.  Can I have welded on to the base mount, an extension I beam?  The
original was torched off the concrete base for some reason.

2.  Does anyone have a photo of what it should look like?

3.  Any issues with a house brace?

4.  How large should the concrete base be?

As you can tell, I am new to tower erection...

Dave
NK7Z