Re: [TowerTalk] ] 2" OD tubing inside a Rohn 25AG2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ] 2" OD tubing inside a Rohn 25AG2
From: Dayle Johnson <ne_redneck@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 21:01:29 -0500
 Larry....

>Tubing is not pipe and that length of it with any substantial weight, i.e.
> windload, is inviting disaster.

Let me just say that pipe is not tubinig eighter.  The terminology seems to be
wrong here and is somehow being equated with strength....

1.  Pipe is measured by the ID....inside diamater, no matter the material.
Various scheduals will denote wall thicknesses.

2.  Tubing is measured by the OD...outside diamater, no matter the material.

I would venture to say that a 2" aluminum tubing with a 1/2" wall would be more
than what woud be needed...I don't know if you would like the cost.

k0sz

to: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] 2" OD tubing inside a Rohn 25AG2
> From: "Larry & Karen" <k0is@iowatelecom.net>
> Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 12:24:53 -0500
>
> Tom, There is no way I would use ANY aluminum tubing as a mast at any time.
> In this case there are three problems.....aluminum....tubing.....length.
> Tubing is not pipe and that length of it with any substantial weight, i.e.
> windload, is inviting disaster. Another section of tower is the ONLY
> correct
> and safe way to achieve the height you're after. It's cheaper to do it
> right
> once than to do it twice to GET it right. For what it's worth....I'm no
> expert. I'd be interested to see what K7LXC has to say about your question.
>
> Larry
> K0IS

Hotmail.