Re: [TowerTalk] My 48' Delhi Self Supporter folded over :-( lost its bol

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My 48' Delhi Self Supporter folded over :-( lost its bolts!
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 23:11:42 -0700
The lock washer may be the problem. I thought studies show that they can
actually accelerate loosening.
(in fact we can debate where structural steel bolt connections are
"allowed" to use lock washers")

here's one test result
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/helicalspringwashers.htm

if you have the correct torque, the washer is going to be flat anyhow.
Better to go to flat washers?. (hardened steel:  galvanized F436 is the
washer for A325 bolts)

I notice from pictures at that other site showing a Delpha tower failure
from loose bolts, that the connections are essentially flat steel?
Should be able to get pretty high torque there, assuming a325 or grade 5
bolts. (is "large diameter" 1/2" or more?)

Maybe the real problem is not using a wrench with a long enough handle.
Since there's no tube compression issue, these should get over 100 ft
lbs? torque don't know what size bolt it is.
Even if the bolt is galvanized, you should probably use a dry lube spray
on the bolts before tightening.

(if the clamping force is enough, it's hard to believe that you need to
use loctite on a structural flat steel connection)

This is similar to the bolted joint at the bottom of a crankup right? I
use a dry lube spray on 3/4" a325 bolts there.

good point about using new bolts.

-kevin