Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 00:29:29 -0400

On 5/11/2010 10:11 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:58:32 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>

>> First, our electrical inspector told me, after I remarked about the size
>> (or lack thereof) of the required ground after we put the drop to the
>> house underground, that the grounds were primarily for protection from
>> shock and fire.  Any lightning protection was incidental.
>>
> Your electrical inspector should study the code. :)
>
> Most electrical inspectors have risen through the ranks of pipe benders,
> and by kissing you know what with unions and politicians. There are, of
> course, exceptions.

I have to admit the present inspector (not the one I dealt with), is Pro
Union all the way and tries to discourage any do-it-yourself projects.
He's known for giving the individual static and carrying a tape recorder
just in case.
Of course the current "pay back" is the "Monopoly Bargaining Bill (H.R.
413/S.1611)"
> The SOLE reason for the connection of neutral to EARTH is LIGHTNING
> PROTECTION.

The way they do it is hardly adequate from the results I've seen. But as
most damage comes from nearby strikes rather than direct hits I would
guess is why they can get away with it.

I have to use the configuration they require, but there is nothing
preventing me from tying that into my own grounding system.

73

Roger (K8RI)