Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a XM240 on a Tic Ring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a XM240 on a Tic Ring
From: Dan <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:01:42 -0700
Bruce: I was faced with the problem of splicing a 3" OD boom. I visited
the local aluminum supplier and he came up with a size of aluminum pipe
which fitted inside nicely. The wall thicknes was quite a bit greater
than the boom material and that was good .
I would also suggest that you consider making a lengthwise slit to open
or close the diameter of some material so it can be used as a shim to
fit the gap between your 2 tubes. I have actually used a piece of the
same size tubing to splice a damaged place by cutting a slot in it and
using a piece of wood and a hammer to drive it into the undamaged
sections. This , of course, is a bit weaker than the original tube but
the damage was out near the end of the boom where the stress was small.
Of course I used a couple of thru bolts at the splice to prevent rotation.

73, Dan, N5AR