Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing lubrication
From: Brahmangou@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:39:26 EDT
Unlubricated bearings? Maybe the reason you are wearing out the races. I
use Moly grease on all of mine, no problems yet. Every bearing needs
lubrication, even old windmills from 100 years ago have oilers, and windmills
only
turn at about 75 rpm. Where I live dust and dirt above 50 feet is not a
problem, maybe in West Texas or Arizona the big dust storms could deposit
enough  to make a difference.

 The grease would not make a  negative difference in  the grit problem.
Once grit gets into the races the damage is done,  grease or no grease. No way
to get the grit back out either way. Actually the  grease would help keep
the grit out. Once a bearing is put through several  rotations, excess grease
is forced out through the races. There is no way to get  this grease back
into the bearings.  There is no grease pump to move grease  back onto the
bearing surfaces.This is why you repack wheel bearings. The excess  grease can
act as a semi-seal for the races.

Also the only way to get grit into this bearing is for it to blow in an
upward direction through the small crack between the two halves. Grease in the
 bearing would prevent airflow through the bearing. No airflow, no grit.

FWIW,
Marty ab5gu

In a message dated 5/18/2010 7:34:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
K7LXC@aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 5/17/2010 6:18:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Hi TTers,
I  got that Rohn 45 tilt-over down and home  last week. In remarkably good
condition. Only thing I wondering about is the  TB3 thrust bearing  and how
lubricate it. It turns freely but has a notable  rumbling  sound and feel
it. I notice at the bottom of the inside shaft  area  where to mast passes
through, is a recessed Allan head  fitting/plug. Would  this be the place
remove and squirt in some  white grease? And then replace  the plug?

Removal of the Allen screw allows you to  remove the ball bearings and
then take the bearing apart.

This bearing should NOT  be lubricated with  anything. All that does is
give airborne grit and  crud a place to attach to,  thus accelerating the
failure of the  bearing. The bearings are not sealed so  it's easy for junk
get  into the bearings and races.

The TB-3 (and TB-4) are both  aluminum races with  steel ball bearings.
It is very common for older  TB's to have the rumbling you  describe since
in
wind gusts, the  steel bearings can get pounded into the  softer aluminum
races. This  means the bearing is on its last legs. I wouldn't  reinstall
it.
Well, if you were just going to use it as a bushing without   tightening
the 3
bolts, it'd last for years. The actual value of a  thrust  bearing is the
subject of some conjecture since most or all  of the weight of a  mast and
antenna array should be on the rotator.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH