Re: [TowerTalk] stacking of TH11DX, Discover 7-3

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stacking of TH11DX, Discover 7-3
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 22:19:27 -0500
I think you need to do some tower loading calculations.  The HDX-589 is
rated for 16 sq-ft at 70 mph. That's with the load about 1 ft above the
top of the tower.  You are in an 85 mph zone.  That means the tower
rating will be reduced.  If you mount the TH11DX one ft above the top
with the boom support at 3 ft above the top, then the tower rating
should be reduced to somewhere around 7 sq-ft at 85 mph.  Since the
TH11DX is 12.5 sq-ft, that single antenna overloads the tower.

Any antenna mounted above the top of the tower will reduce the rating of
the tower in a hurry.  Another large antenna above this one would really
be asking for trouble.

Please don't take my hurried approximate calculations as gospel.  Do
your own or have a qualified person do it for you.

Why would you want two different antennas stacked close together that
cover many of the same bands?  That's a recipe for trouble also.

Jerry, K4SAV