[TowerTalk] Mast steps.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast steps.
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 03:48:09 -0700
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:44:53 -0500
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Steps
I have steps from W9IIX too, and they replaced homebrew ones.  I didn't find
pictures on the W9IIX web site but they are listed on his order form.  I
took a picture of one of mine for VE7RF and can forward it to anyone wanting
to see it.

Jim N7US

## it's listed on his site.. under the 1st thing on his site.....
under....'mounts + adaptors' .
nice pix of it.  I don't like the U -bolts he  uses... with the sheet metal
clamps. I have a
bunch of those already, and they are only G-2 steel on the 'U' portion.  IMO,
neither the
'U' portion, nor the sheet metal saddle clamps have any surface area to them.
They clamp
simply by lot's of pressure / torque being applied.  In they are used... 2 of
them are required
for sure.    The 'U' portion of the SS DX eng saddle clamps is a lot stronger.
 The main advantage
is the almost 1" wide solid AL saddle's used. ... with loads of surface area.
If 2 x of the dx eng
saddle clamps were used on the IIX mast steps, you would have the ultimate
step.
http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=14&SecID=1&DeptID=39

http://www.w9iix.com/ii00012.htm

I already had the 2" x 2"  x 1/4" thick 6061-T6  angle cut for me  [14" long
each x 8]
I just tried a single dx eng saddle clamp..works good.  However, there is NO
way I can
squeeze 2 of em in there..due to the fact the inside dimensions are only 1.75"
x 1.75"
To pull that off, I shoulda bought 2" x 2.50" angle... then 2 x dx eng saddle
clamps
would  have fit nicely.

One step was built...with just ONE dx eng saddle clamp... and mounted to the
mast... 1' above the
lawn, with mast stood vertical.  I can stomp on it all I want.. and it doesn't
budge.  However,
I don't  know if I can trust the single saddle clamp.    I will make another
step.... but this time, use one
of my spare dx eng jumbo mast clamps.   Those things have a saddles on both
sides of the mast... and
each has a full 2" of surface area on both sides of the mast. A pair of G-8
bolts holds em together.
http://www.dxengineering.com/pdf/SDS%20Clamps%20Rev5.pdf    The 2" width of the
2" clamp
will fit my 2" x 2" steps.

I found some of those non skid [adhesive back]  rolls.. in 1.75" wide.. and
will apply it to the
flat surface of each step.  Safer..esp if it gets wet.  Looks sorta like black
sandpaper.
I will try  a 10-32 or 1/4-20 at each end of the step, drilled and tapped....
so I can 'feel'  the edges of
the step.. instead of stepping off into mid air.

Some one mentioned using 3" x 3"  steps.   I feel that anything much wider than
2" [for the Horz]
will be too big to grab with my hands.. grip wise.  However,  I have small
hands.  3"  wide would
be superb to stand on though.

As  a side note... a friend 50 miles away, some how got a hold of  a 2" OD
stainless steel mast,
and found that run of the mill muffler clamps would slip on the SS mast... when
used on boom to
mast plate.  Apparently the same thing happens on chromolly...esp the heat
treated stuff.

Tnx for all the help.

Jim  VE7RF