Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Removal

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Removal
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:58:51 -0700
I do a similar thing, but I have a suggestion that may make it simpler
and cheaper for you.

Drill holes in one face of an 18 inch length of angle iron spaced to
accept the bolts from a saddle-type muffler clamp (available from Pep
Boys for a few dollars), and use that homebrew assembly instead of a
second thrust bearing on the lower bearing plate.  I use angle iron that
is about 1.5 inches on each face, but you could use 2 inch angle iron
and have room for two muffler clamps if you want the additional safety
of redundancy.  The muffler clamps will work fine to keep the mast from
sliding down while you remove the rotor, and the other end of the angle
iron can easily be secured to the bearing plate with a C-Clamp to
prevent the mast and antennas from pinwheeling in the wind.  If my
description here is poor, let me know and I'll send you a picture of mine.

Another advantage of using the angle iron and muffler clamp idea is that
you should be able to get a crow bar between the muffler clamp and
bearing plate to recover any minor slippage that might occur in the
process of removing the rotor.  I doubt you'd be able to do that with a
normal thrust bearing since they sit flush on the plate.

You won't want to leave the thing on the tower when you aren't using it,
though, since the muffler clamps and bolts can rust rather quickly.

73,
Dave   AB7E