Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton kw3000

To: "Dale M" <dmess4391@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton kw3000
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:36:14 -0700
Dale M wrote:
> I am getting a KW3000 winch to put on my TX-455. was wondering if anyone
> has done this and if so if you had any information that you would care to
> pass along as to how you did yours and any problems you had.
> Dale K8NKE

I changed my HDX-5106 tilt up winch to a KW3000.  It is now
a little easier to crank up, although many more turns, and
considerably easier to crank down, compared to the 2550 that
shipped with the tilt over fixture.  I can now use a drill
all the way down.  Going up, I alternate between the drill
and the hand crank to allow both to rest :-).  There are
pictures of my drill adapter on my web site www.n6rk.com.
At some point on the way up, the effort becomes such that
I can use the drill only.  Instead of tiny brake pads getting
hot and squeeling, the whole winch warms up.  I wouldn't
advise using a 300 RPM drill without variable speed.  It
might be too much for the winch.  It is important to use
lubricant on the worm:  the right kind and plenty of it.
I was using lithium grease.  I switched to some really gooey
sticky red grease they sell at Tractor Supply.  Big difference.

Anybody want to buy a gently used 2550?  Hi.

Rick N6RK