[TowerTalk] 1/2 wave balun..resitive or reactive?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1/2 wave balun..resitive or reactive?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:19:57 -0700
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 20:25:52 -0700
From: "Rich Hallman - N7TR" <rich@n7tr.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] M2 6M5X balun testing?

I installed one of my 6 M5X's after being on the ground for a year or so
and am seeing High SWR now.  Anyone try or have an idea how to test the
center balun that has the phasing line that attaches to it?

Ill call M2 Monday...but wanted to see if anyone knows how the internal
of the balun center hub is wired.

Thanks...

Rich N7TR

### So what is the Z of this 1/2 wave balun supposed to be??
Is it all inductive/capacitive, or mainly resistive ?   Jim Brown's notes
mention the 1/2 wave balun is a single freq device.. and that it's effectiveness
drops off, as you go up/down in freq.

## what is the Z on a 1/2 wave balun?    Perhaps it's sky high.. and then drops
off a tiny bit...off freq?   Has anyone actually  measured or done the math on
em?

Tnx... Jim   VE7RF