[TowerTalk] Have we been wasting our money?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Have we been wasting our money?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 02:49:30 -0700
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:54:46 -0700
From: "Dino Darling" <dino@kx6d.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Have we been wasting our money?

Roger, stop stirring the pot!  That CB antenna works perfect for what it
was designed for.  The design was stolen from a guy named Kale who
builds the "Penetrator 10K" antenna.  I know you are not so naive to
think that there isn't a huge outlaw CB market.

### the mm5 is better built than the penetrator 10k.   The penetrator 10k
uses what appears to be 1/4" tubing coil.  The mm-5 uses  super thick
3/4" wide al barstock.. wound flat into a coil.  That is a much better way
to wind a coil [same deal for the 10m coil in a linear] .  The coil, wound flat,
has ZIP for stray C between turns.  You can then get the turns closer, if you
want.
UN loaded Q of that coil is very high in that config.   The same concept also
works
for tank coils on 6m.   [and ditto with HF parasitic suppressors].  Heliarc
welding the
 MM-5 coil at both the top and bottom  ensures the ultimate solid electrical
connection.

## the 102"  SS  whip is fubar.   SS is the WORSE thing you can possibly use,
bar none,
for trying to pump RF through. Just look at Bings RF software.. and bring up
the table of
various metals.. and you will see at a glance that SS  is a non starter.  Why
F-12 uses
SS  10-24 machine screws at the feed point is beyond me.   The old F-12 showed
pix
of a 8 ga SS  helical hairpin for 40m... and the exact center of that SS coil
had turned
BLACK !    The center of a hairpin is at an electrical neutral point.. [read
super low Z .. sky
high RF current flowing]   Since the exact center of any hairpin is at an
electrical neutral point,
you can either float it  [called a hair pin]... or grnd it to the boom  [ 'beta
match']
At least  Mosely got that part right.. and uses phosphor bronze machine screws.
  You can even
silver plate em with..'cool amp'   [coolamp.com in ore]

Just as many hams use the Wilson 1000 for 10-meters, this antenna would
work there as well.  Get off the CB bashwagon.  Next thing we'll here is
that M2 and Force 12 are bad because they make 11-meter antennas.

## array solutions also makes deluxe 11m  yagis.. built right.. and designed to
handle
globs of power... which means paying careful attention to the tips of the DE..
so you don't burn
em off with corona.  [ telrex did the same using corona balls and also
'anti-vibration loops'.

  Heck,both those companies make amateur radio antennas with optional 5KW
baluns, and with you also being on the AMPS reflector, you know that
licensed amateurs are using that amount of power....plus!

## M2  makes optional 10 kw baluns.  Array solutions now makes 20 kw baluns.
the old ones were made with 393 coax wound on type 61 cores.  The new ones are
wound
with 393 coax on type 31 cores.   AS also installs the blue 10 kv rated  comp
cap  across the
balanced output side.. to cancel out some of the XL  from the brass
feedthroughs   that pass through
the large serrated  stand off insulators on the balanced side.

## After reading Mr Brown's various papers on choke baluns.. and the need for a
higher resistive
component... I think I might have it figured out finally.  I squared  x R =
heat.     The total choking Z
consists of.... resistive part squared  +   reactive part squared.  The reason
that  type 43 and also type 61
choke baluns don't over heat is simply cuz  I squared  x reactive ohms =
reactive power.... which of course
is 'wattless power' .     Choke baluns made from type 31  will dissipate more
heat cuz of their higher
resistive component.    The saving grace is to get the total  resistive Z  up
really high to start with.... to minimize the
spill  over current to start with.    Then, with way less spill over current...
then I squared x R  won't cook anything.

## I had AS  take their new designed 20 kw balun  [1.8-30 mhz]   and  modify it
for me.. and turned it into a line
isolator.  These will have 7-16 dins on BOTH ends of the nema box.   I have 2
of em [identical] being built.. and both
will be modified in the same way.

I'm just tired of the CB bashing over the last 20+ years! There are as
many jerks in OUR ranks as well!  Time for people to grow up!

##  a buddy  of mine who used to be a 11m op  [154 countries confirmed on 11m]
finally got his ham ticket
back in the mid 90's.    I took him to a local ham club meeting... and out of
200 hams there... only 3  were on HF...
the rest were 2m fm ops !   They had a large  ARRL  map of the world on the
wall.. and my friend pointed out all the
countries he had worked.  They were all aghast.   We asked a few of them ..
'what is the speed requirement for CW these days'?
The reply was... 'what is CW' ?   They didn't have a clue abt CW, dx, HF  or
much else.    We left the meeting, never went back
again.. and buddy studied hard for his ham ticket.. and passed.  He has 300
countries now.  He knew how to listen , listen,
listen.   I was a SWL  from 1968  to 1972, b4 I got my ham ticket... so I knew
how to listen to.   Buddy's  11m set up compromised
of a hb  [ built like a tank]  6 -el yagi on a 36'  boom... and an old drake
TR-3.

## These days  it's   1100 hams here in town... and 4 of us on HF..... go
figure.

later....Jim  VE7RF

"If your slate is clean, then you can throw stones..."

Dino - KX6D