Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch

To: "mcelmer1" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch
From: "Rick Karlquist" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:18:02 -0700
mcelmer1 wrote:
> Any thoughts on using a Harbor Freight winch for a U.S. Tower 55 ft
> crankup??
> I think the one sold by U.S. Towe is around $1200 versus $150 for the
> Harbor Freight model.
> Mike

"Jeep" winches have a very low duty cycle and wouldn't
be suitable for sustained operation to raise/lower a tower.
They are only designed to get a jeep of a "holler"
or maybe get a boat in and out of the water.
The pounds rating is the weight of the jeep, not the cable
pull.  Somewhere it will say "not for overhead lifting".

Secondarily, although I buy a lot of stuff from HF, I
wouldn't buy anything from them for an application where
I couldn't tolerate a catastrophic failure.

Rick N6RK