Re: [TowerTalk] best way to shine up an old yagi?

To: Eric Dobrowansky K2WD <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] best way to shine up an old yagi?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:42:38 +0000
If you don't care that the surface gets a little rough and "brushed".. I
used a grill brush (a wire one meant to clean BBQ grills) to clean up the
Cushcraft A3 I refurbished. Why? I had to replace a few sections with new
tubing and I didn't want the antenna to be two colors for 5+ years when it
all oxidizes again. Also it helped to uncover damage in some of the
aluminum tubing that wasn't readily visible. (The antenna was "free" but I
ended up putting $150 into it. And rebuilding 2/3 of the traps... sigh...
But it's better than new now literally and a new one goes for $600)

This works FAST. I tried polish, Scotchbrite and even fine sandpaper.
Arrgh.. a lot of work... The brush will do a element in 10 minutes if you
are good.

The aluminum does become a "brushed" finish. From 3'+ away you can't tell.
I didn't "brush" the new sections of aluminum and you can't see the
difference up in the air or even when it was on the ground.

Fred W0FMS