Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-900

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-900
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 09:14:54 -0700
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:45:43 -0400, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>Connector installation techniques should always insure there is
>an adequate RF connection between the connector body and the
>INSIDE of the inner shield.

Interesting. Let's say I'm installing an Amphenol PL-259 on
something like LMR400 or Commscope 3227 (similar shield
construction). The connector is a tight screw-on fit to the
jacket, the braid and foil continue all the way to the point where
they butt into the hole for the center, and I solder all four
holes carefully, with the foil and braid (hopefully) in contact
under the solder. Would that make an adequate RF connection? I'd
guess that the answer depends on the frequency of interest. Or
would only a crimp-type connector be capable of an adequate
connection?

73, Jim K9YC