To: "Towertalk" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GROUND SYSTEMS
From: "K0DAN" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:13:44 -0500
As part of my Summer, 2010 tower maintenance project, I'm doing maintenance
on my 1980's vintage Tri-Ex LM470D which has been at this QTH since about

Each tower leg has its own ground rod, all the legs are bonded together, as
well as a copper bus plate in a NEMA box adjacent to the tower, a NEMA box
at the house, a single point ground bus in the shack, etc. Polyphasers and
additional ground rods are situated throughout the cable runs, and major
junction points. #4 copper wire is used everywhere. The ground system has
served me well, but it's time for more effort in this arena.

I'm inspecting & refurbishing the "old" stuff, and adding ground rods,
replacing connections, etc.

Copper strap is REALLY expensive! Has anyone used welding cable with any
success and longevity? Other materials? My #4 grounds are OK, but how to get
a lower impedance ground system without taking out a second mortgage?

Soil here (Kansas City area) has a lot of clay content, and probably rather
reactive over time.

All suggestions graciously accepted!

 Tnx es 73