Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GROUND SYSTEMS
From: jimlux <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:59:46 -0700
> writes:
> Copper  strap is REALLY expensive! Has anyone used welding cable with any
> success  and longevity? Other materials? My #4 grounds are OK, but how to
> get
> a  lower impedance ground system without taking out a second  mortgage?
> I was lucky enough to get some old air filled hardline which I  pounded
> flat and used that.  It works if you only need short runs since it  does take
> some time to flatten.

A round tube has basically the same inductance as the same tube
flattened (within a few percent)

For a given amount of copper, a strip is better than a solid wire, but
between hollow tube and strip, there's not much difference.

The difference is that a strip can carry current on both sides, while a
tube can only carry current on the outside.  But that's true for a
flattened tube too.

If you were to split the tube and open it up, then you're looking more
like a strip.