[TowerTalk] Truss clamp for 2" mast ??

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Truss clamp for 2" mast ??
From: <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:55:03 -0400
For my homebrew antennas I fasten a small plate of aluminum to the mast with
a u-bolt.  The plate has holes on each end and I connect a 3/8 EJ turnbuckle
to each side of the plate for the boom truss.  For larger antennas I mount a
piece to angle stock to the mast, perpendicular to the boom and use two
turnbuckles on each half of the boom (four total) to create a V truss.

John KK9A

To: <>
From: "Jim Thomson" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:50:35 -0700

Ok... I'm not impressed with the F-12  method of securing the over head
line to the 2" mast.
The F-12 method consist of  looping the  1/8"  SS  truss cable  through the
 portion of a standard
U-clamp.. with the saddle on the back end of the mast.   While this method
works, it's an absolute
bitch to get some tension on the truss line.   IE:  you have to push up on
U bolt.. and hold it there, then tighten
the U bolt.

Does anybody make a 2 x piece clamp  that will  clamp onto a 2"  mast, such
that a SS /galvanized  small
turnbuckle can be installed on either side of the 2" mast ???    That would
make life a LOT easier.   Of course,
the  one coninuous piece of stock truss line would have to be cut in the
middle, and either cable clamps or nicropress crimps
installed + a pair of thimbles, etc.

I can envision the proposed 2 x piece wrap around clamp assy in my head.
B is... since I use  several  HB mast steps
already, which use a single DX eng  super mast clamp assy,  I might be able
slide a thin piece of flat bar steel between
the 2 x clamp halves... and drill it for a 3/8"  hole.    Then the G-8  bolt
would pass through both halves of the mast clamps
plus the flat bar in the middle.   Once tight, there is a small gap between
2 x halves of the DX eng clamps anyway.
The flat bar would pivot down on an angle, and the other end of the flat bar
could be used to terminate one
end of a turnbuckle.

What do other folks use to terminate  an over head truss ?

later...... Jim   VE7RF