Re: [TowerTalk] Tower-climbing pictures

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower-climbing pictures
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:43:00 +0100
Good morning Roger,

        I agree, the impact force involved must have been very high, but
perhaps the pilot was strapped into his seat. The aircraft was a small
biplane, probably built of wood and covered in canvas, "microlights" had not
been invented at that time, and the photograph was taken from the base of
the mast, looking directly up at the impact site. You can clearly see the
aircraft stuck into the lattice structure, the wings have been distorted
forward and are slightly "hugging" the mast, I assume that the nose of the
aircraft fitted nicely into the lattice dimensions, which might have reduced
the impact force, like the modern "crumple zone" of a car. But of course the
propeller went through the lattice structure first.

        In the picture, you can also clearly see the aircraft stuck in the
structure, and how the mast has been bent or distorted by the force of the
impact.......so, if the pilot did survive, perhaps it taught him a lesson
that he never forgot. The duty crew at the transmitter site must have had
quite a surprise too!

        According to the author of the book "Communication Structures", up
to the time of writing there had been 15 aircraft related incidents
involving tall masts/towers in the UK

        73, John. G3JVC.