Re: [TowerTalk] Boom Material

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Boom Material
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 23:28:36 -0400
On 7/29/2010 11:20 PM, Wilson Lamb wrote:
> I have seen some surplus irrigation pipe very cheap.  I think the 3" is
> about 0.06 wall and there may be a heavier one, maybe 0.09.
It sounds a bit light to me.    I use 0.120, 0.125. and even 0.188 wall
for typical booms.  BUT it depends on both how long a boom and what you
are going to hand on to it. I don't know what alloy they use for
irrigation tubing, but structural is typically 6061-T6.
0.120 is not all that common except in 6' and maybe 12' lengths. It's
nice as the consecutive sizes will telescope together without binding.

I have seen a number of articles on using irrigation tubing for
verticals. I don't recall any for Yagi construction.