Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 91, Issue 84 SURGE Protection Sprc

To: Mike Fatchett <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 91, Issue 84 SURGE Protection Sprcial
From: jimlux <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:10:40 -0700
jimlux wrote:
> Mike Fatchett wrote:
>> I put a similar device on my meter here in Montana.  I was losing
>> electronics fairly regularly, mostly cheap cordless phones.  No problems
>> since and there is a guarantee with coverage limits.
>> I think I was charged a flat fee for the device of around $120.00.  Why
>> pay for a monthly fee.  That seems shady to me. Call your power company
>> and ask them what they recommend.  The power company will probably want
>> to install it since they get touchy about people messing with the meters.
> the monthly fee is a reasonable way to go (assuming it's not unreasonable)..

I just realized that sounds really silly.. (reasonable if not
unreasonable).. too early in the morning.

Here's the deal.. the meter socket protectors are quite popular these
days.. a Leviton one runs about $250, so, spreading that out over 36
months gets you to $6/month or thereabouts.. If the power company were
to charge $50/mo, that would be way high.