[TowerTalk] Fwd: shack wiring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: shack wiring
From: hanslg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:43:25 -0400
A little warning is in place:

When you run 120 volts supplies on outlets on different phases but common
return, be aware that if they are of the "old" type, diodes feeding directly
into capacitors, so called "top-" or "pulse" rectification, due to the
harmonics in the currents through the supplies, the current will add up, not
subtract in the return line. You can end up with 40 amps in the return line
with both lines loaded to 20 amps. I have seen this happened in computer rooms
in schools where they had many computers loading 2x120V outlets. If you use
power supplies with phase factor correction this is not an issue.

73 de,

Hans - N2jfs