Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: shack wiring

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: shack wiring
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:41:39 EDT
Sorry Paul, I misunderstood your information. I see now that you were
talking about neighborhood primary power distribution, not individual home
secondary power source.
I see the single phase primary distribution running for miles and miles out
 in the rural areas around here. As new and upgraded facilities are
installed I  see three phase distribution replacing the old plant.
This part of Texas is seeing growth like southern California back 30 to 40
years ago and the older power distribution systems are being replaced at a
rapid  pace.
Gerald K5GW
In a message dated 8/2/2010 9:21:52 A.M. Central Daylight Time, writes:

>  "Paul, with 2 phases, wouldn't they be phased at 120 degrees apart
instead of  180? Seems that would cause problems with 220/240vac loads. 73,
Gerald  K5GW"

The transformer's secondary winding creates the 180-degree phase
relationship on the 120/240 side -- not the transformer's primary.

Paul, W9AC

In a message dated 8/2/2010 7:36:13 A.M.  Central Daylight Time, writes:
> ##  If  the business's  don't get a neutral... then how do the  business's
> obtain 120 vac ??

The  neutral for premise distribution is created at the utility transformer
secondary.  Speaking of electrical distribution and use  of neutrals, this
evolution of plant step-down architecture  has always bothered me:

In the U.S., the HV primary on a pole transformer feeding a home is  tapped
between one phase of a three-phase system and a  Multi-Ground Neutral
The photo in the top link shows  only one phase on the pole insulator.
Often, the other two  phases are not passed in deeper residential

At each pole, a grounding conductor (shown  in the second link) is run from
the MGN to earth to keep the  distribution's MGN ground line at earth
potential.   That's a good thing because if a ground fault occurs, it's
possible that the pole grounding conductor (runs from the top of the pole
the ground stake) would elevate to the full 7200V delivered  by the
distribution phase through the transformer  primary.  During a fault
condition, a person standing  on the ground while touching the pole's
grounding conductor  would be guaranteed electrocution.

Albeit more expensive  for utility companies, it makes more sense to me
for  new neighborhood construction, two phases should be carried to the
transformer's HV primary, and not between one phase and the  MGN.   This is
especially the case where 3-phase  is available on the pole.  Yet, in cases
where a  residential transformer is mounted on a 3-phase pole, the utility
companies still use the MGN instead of a second phase. The safety of  the
exiting distribution is wholly dependant on the bonding  quality of all
components between the MGN, the pole  grounding conductor, and the earth
grounding rod.   Tapping two phases instead of one eliminates the deadly
ground fault condition.  Then again, just how many accidents or deaths
result each year from such a ground fault?  In areas of  *well-maintained*
plant, probably not too  many.

Paul, W9AC

TowerTalk  mailing list

TowerTalk  mailing  list