Re: [TowerTalk] Differentiating Tri-Ex Towers

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Differentiating Tri-Ex Towers
From: Mickey Baker <>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:33:38 -0400
Allow me to document an answer to own posting for the record. A lot of you
were helpful, but Ron, W8RJL, sent me exactly the information I was seeking
in a form that I understood immediately.

Tri-Ex produced a number of different size tower sections for telescoping
towers. This "Cross Section Details" drawing identifies the sections by
"Section No." in the drawing, with dimensions of sections 5, 6, 7 and 8 on
this drawing.

A table at the bottom of the drawing identifies LM and HM towers current as
of the drawing (1972) and the sections used for each tower. The HM-354, for
example, uses section numbers 6, 7, and 8, where the lighter LM-354 uses
smaller sections 5, 6, and 7.

Tashjian's drawing of the modern LM-354HD identifies that it uses section
numbers 6, 7 and 8.

I don't know if there are addition changes, but it seems logical that an
HM-354 has been re-designated  "LM-354HD."
Concrete Base designs appear identical - I can find no differences in these

If anyone has more information, please reply!

You can view the drawing Ron sent me at:

Mickey, N4MB

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Mickey Baker <> wrote:

> How would one tell if a tower were a LM-354, LM-354HD or an HM-354?
> Should there be a data plate or descriptive weld?
> Thanks and 73,
> Mickey, N4MB

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.