Re: [TowerTalk] Need sources of rope and fiberglass

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need sources of rope and fiberglass
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:49:49 -0400

On 8/4/2010 10:38 AM, Charles Harpole wrote:
> Hope someone can refer me to a source for
>
> ---very light weight, very strong (500 lbs. pull), non absorbent, sun
> resistant line/string/rope to use to internally guy a two element quad.

The problems I have are finding a braided rope. I don't want the type
that has the woven protective sleeve over it.  I have problems with the
core sticking out through the jacket with that stuff.    I purchased a
1000' spool of 3/16 braided that is something like 800# test, must be UV
resistant as the stuff that has been up holding antennas for 3 or 4
years is just as flexible as it was when I put it up...and no noticeable
stretch...AND inexpensive, or it was when I purchased it. The stuff is
great for general purpose work and I had a 500 foot roll of 1/2" braided
that has been great.  They may not have quite the strength of the double
braid (core with cover), but I find them more durable.

I'm pretty sure I purchased it from either The Wireman, RFParts, or
Davis.  I don't think either came from Davis. The problem is when I look
at the sites, they don't give a complete description.  Guess it's time
to get on the phone. All three places have been easy to deal with and
very helpful.  As I've mentioned before, I'm sticking with Davis
BuryFlex(TM) for my rotator loops.

I've reached the point where I need another spool of the dark OD or
Green 3/16" (No it's not parachute cord) and another 500' of the 1/2".
Now if I could just find out where I purchased them<sigh>

> -- light weight 8 foot fiberglass rod or tube, at least 1 and half inch
> diameter.

1 1/2" diameter rod would not be light so you are looking at tube.
I gave away "the remnants" of a Diamond 144/440 21' tall vertical that
had been "shortened" by lightening. About a foot from the top it looked
like an exploded cigar and the radiator looked like a used piece of
brazing rod, but the rest of the jacket was good. Matching network was
also shot. But at-any-rate, the bottom section is about 1 to maybe 1
1/4" tube that would be long enough, although I don't know if it'd be
strong enough.  So, you might also look for some of the old Diamond and
other antennas of that type as I'd bet quite a few get thrown out.  You
can fix the radiator easily enough, but I don't know how to fix the
matching network which is potted. Any way it might be worth a try.

73

Roger (K8RI)