[TowerTalk] Used Harnesses

Subject: [TowerTalk] Used Harnesses
From: Tom Mandera <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:28:51 -0600
> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:34:36 -0400
> From: Robrk <>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used Fall Harnesses
> Cc: Towertalk <>
> Then there's some group that uses your tax dollar to replace our complete set
> every five years, used or not. They have a date code and said to have a shelf
> life.
> On Aug 10, 2010, at 17:51, Ryan Jairam <> wrote:
> > Yeah but you only BUY it once and when you buy it, it is new.

I'm about to join the ranks of those with a tower at home, and just
bought a Miller/Titan harness kit (TFPK-6/U/6FTAK) new, for many of the
arguments-against-used already stated.

It hasn't arrived yet, but it is my understanding, as stated above, that
there's a life expectancy for these things, and that 5 years is the
standard answer.

I'm curious if there's anything to be done to adjust that, without
cheating my own safety, of course.

I buy racing helmets that are good for 5 years - they should be replaced
because your sweat eats the glue and perhaps there's something to do
with the atmosphere and the life of the foam - but if you kept it in a
sealed box and never wore it, it'd be just fine 5 years from now.

Harnesses are probably damaged by UV and chemicals, but the average ham
must only wear his or her harness a few days a year, compared to 6-8
hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year for a professional in the

What steps can be taken to prolong the life of the harness, and at what
point is that false economy?

Helena, MT