Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Harness-My Choice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Harness-My Choice
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:38:54 -0700
I have an AN Wireless HD-70 freestanding tower with the foot pegs ...
slippery enough to require caution when wet, but not treacherous.  I
climb with a full body harness with two relatively short safety straps,
neither of which are fall arrest lanyards.  Each safety strap has a
self-locking gorilla hook on the end (required because of the large
steel cross braces on the tower), and one or the other hook is ALWAYS
attached to a cross brace as I climb.  I even have a third strap and
gorilla hook coming from a separate belt around my waist that I affix to
the tower while I am working.

The hooks I use are made from a high strength aluminum alloy ... very
light and extremely strong. *http://tinyurl.com/25dns9a*

In general, I'm afraid of heights but don't feel ill at ease on the
tower with this system.  If I die falling from it, it will be because I
was stupid.

73,
Dave   AB7E