Re: [TowerTalk] gorilla hooks

To: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] gorilla hooks
From: "Pete-N4KW" <n4kwpete@centurylink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:12:33 -0400
When I purchased my gorilla hook a few years ago, they told me they were
originally developed for the guys who did rebar work on new buildings etc.
It afforded them the ability to move a bit more freely as they worked on the
rebar cages on skyscrapers etc.  Mine came with a little locking lever that
you first had to open then the gorilla would open.  I removed that little
locking lever and you would be surprised at how fast you can connect to a
tower leg or cross brace, just one motion and you are locked in.  I took a
guywire equalizing plate and attached two spring loaded hooks that are
attached to the halyard of a safety built.  Removed them from the halyard
and attached one to each of the end holes.  Now each one would attach to a D
ring on my harness.  The middle hole of the equalizing plate I attached my
gorilla hook.  No more lanyard to play with and I still used the safety
lanyard attached to my back D ring once I got to where I was going or to
take a rest break climbing up the tower.  I allows you to easily connect or
disconnect from the tower.  Connecting is one motion to disconnect you have
to move the latch out of the way with your hand.  The equalizing plate was
in the shape of a triangle one hole on each corner and one at the
top/middle.  Hope this helps visualize what I have.
73 Pete N4KW