[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:10:47 -0400
List-post: <">>
Contact an agent ... there has been a lot of speculation here but
since you are a renter special issues are at play.  Renters insurance
generally covers contents - not structures on a property even if they
were erected by a tenant.

Structures attached to the land are generally covered by the owner's
policy (e.g., replacement of structures).

In addition, there are issues of liability ... again, talk to an
expert agent and attorney experienced in landlord/tenant issues.
Erecting a tower (normally considered a "permanent improvement")
on rental properly is a unique situation.


    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/16/2010 4:32 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
> In my area, my agent (State Farm) defines anything on the property as
> long as it is associated with the lives of the people living there as an
> accessory structure.  After all, would you exclude a garage just because
> it was not physically connected.  Anyway, State Farm paid full
> replacement cost for a lightning claim on my tower 190 feet from the
> house a couple of years ago.  I'm sure there are state-to-state variations.
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
> The Reverse Beacon Network at, blog at 
> spots at, port 7000
> On 8/16/2010 4:14 PM, Alan NV8A wrote:
>> On 08/16/10 04:01 pm, wrote:
>>>>     I will putting the TX-472 up in the next month , I am  renting so I do
>>>> not have actual homeowners insurance.
>>>>      Does anyone have any recommendations on insurance companies to
>>>> investigate  ?
>> My insurance agent told me that the tower is considered an "accessory
>> structure" -- same as "appurtenant (auxiliary?) structure???? -- IF it
>> is "attached to" the building. The "attachment" may be nominal but
>> cannot be merely the electrical connections.
>> 73
>> Alan NV8A


TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>