Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance

To: <>, "'Tower Talk List'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:05:45 -0700
It was a perversely humorous situation watching three code inspectors
looking my "attachment" over and each nodding sagely.  One asked if it had
any structural significance. I said "no, the tower is supported by the 3 x 3
x 8' reinforced concrete base it is bolted to with six very heavy steel
bolts.  The attachment to the roof that you're examining at was added solely
to satisfy your requirement that the tower be attached to the house.  You
want it attached.  It's attached."  I kept my permit.

The initial inspector who granted the permit took the position that
something further away than some specified distance was deemed "unattached",
and something closer (like surrounded on three sides by my roof line) could
therefore be considered "attached".

I didn't try the tack of claiming that the feedlines and 220V power to the
winch motor constituted an "attachment".

73 de Dick, K6KR