Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 to Moxon

To: "'Jerry'" <>, "'Tower Talk'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 to Moxon
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:00:05 -0500
Hi Jerry,

Here are two mechanical designs for the 40 meter W6NL Moxon. Standard and
heavy duty.

The performance of the W6NL Moxon is very good. Good gain, good F/B and low
VSWR across the entire band - on a 22 ft boom. The Moxon's replaced
CushCraft XM240s at K3LR.

I have a pair of these two element antennas up at just about the same
heights that I have a pair of full size 4 element OWA Yagi's.

On air comparisons show the OWA stack to have almost 7 dB more gain and 10
dB more front to back over the Moxon stack. This is what you would expect
given the element and boom size difference.

The Moxon pair has a little more gain as compared to the DX Engineering four
square that we use as well (expected).

A pair of two element W6NL Moxon's weighs about 100 lbs and the pair of four
element Yagi's weigh a little over 700 pounds...

Tim K3LR