[TowerTalk] Guy wire height from anchor to tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire height from anchor to tower
From: Mac English <km9zkb9mdl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:10:38 -0700 (PDT)
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me figure out how to
calculate guy wire height from the guy anchor up towards the tower.

My tower height will be at 70 ft. My first set of guy will be at the 32 ft
level
the second set will be around the 68 ft level.  The total distance to each
anchor from the base of the tower is 45ft.

On one of my anchors is only 14 feet away from my home. The max height on my
home where the first set of guys will pass is around 11 feet high. I need to
know how high that first set of guys will be at 14 feet from the anchor to the
roof where these guys will pass. The length of the guy wire on the first level
of guys is 53 feet long from anchor to tower. All anchors will be about 1ft 8in
above ground.

I am wondering if the first set of guys will be high enough off the ground to
clear my home. I have some logistical issues with respect to where I can place
the tower & guys on my property because of utilities and the placement of
buildings on my property.

I have been off the air for 4 years and I am anxious to get my tower up before
the snow flies. I am not good with mathematical equations for figuring this
kind
of thing out. I have a scientific calculator somewhere. I just can not locate
it
as I have just recently moved and I am still looking for things.

Plus while we are at it I will be digging a 2x2x4 ft hole for the base of the
tower. The anchors will be 5ft deep by a 2 ft wide undisturbed hole. I need to
figure out how much concrete will go in each hole and how much concrete will it
take to fill the tower base.

Anyone that can help me I would be most grateful for the information in helping
me get back on the air and to put Kirkwood, IL on the map.

Please email me directly if you like. km9zkb9mdl@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Mac English
KM9Z