Re: [TowerTalk] How much Phillystran?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How much Phillystran?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 14:49:59 -0700
On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:52:12 -0700, Dick Dievendorff wrote:

>How would I figure this out?

Ordinary engineering. :) There are, of course, several good ways to do
it. My solution, for a 120 ft Rohn 25 guyed at 30, 60, 90, and 120 ft
with a 3-el 20-6M SteppIR on top, was to buy 200 ft of Phillystran and
use it only on the top set of guys (at the 120 ft level), starting at the
tower, then transitioning to EHS. The other three sets of guys are EHS
insulated from the tower and have egg insulators to break them up. That
puts the nearest conductive guys at least 35 ft from the SteppIR, and
sloping downward.

I'm not loading the tower on any band, but I am using it as the reflector
for a pair of sloping 160M dipoles. I also have a 2-el 40M wire yagi on
top. I think I'm designed for no interaction, and none has been
identified.

73, Jim K9YC