Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing RG-213 and Rotor Cable

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing RG-213 and Rotor Cable
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:55:04 -0700
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:29:49 -0600, MARK HAMMOND wrote:

>I see many store brands out there, but not the Brands that I have used in
>passed years. What are the best brands being sold today and who sales them?

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

There is a table that lists many good coax cables, their approximate cost,
and their performance. There's also a lot of tutorial text about coax that
will help you make intelligent decisions. Lots of folks around here like Bury
Flex, but it's currently out of stock at the mfr. Davis RF also has a 213
cable that looks pretty good on paper, but I haven't seen any in the flesh to
measure. :)  Commscope 3227, noted in that table, is also great stuff, but it
is NOT flexible, so if you use it, you'll want a short length of something
different at the rotor.

Of the "small vendors," the ones I would buy from are The Wireman and Davis
RF. They were the only ones other than Times, Belden, and Commscope who
actually provided real technical specs on their cables. Some (most?) of the
better known vendors are selling low bid crap, sometimes putting their name
on it.

73, Jim K9YC