Re: [TowerTalk] Attic Based Antennas

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Attic Based Antennas
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 08:01:24 -0700
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 10:27:29 -0400, Larry stowell wrote:

>Wire bend around, not as efficient, but works

I would think about something you can load as a long wire against
the best counterpoise you can find. Try to find some enameled
wire, #18 or so is pretty low visibility. It can be run around
outside. Counterpoise can be more wire running from you shack in
various directions, as long as you can get them, not necessarily
straight. It should also tie into the green wire of the power
wiring. One of my Chicago buddies, KK9H, used the Aluminum ducts
of his HVAC system as a counterpoise on 160M. At my Chicago QTH, I
used a wrought iron fence as a counterpoise on 160 and 80, loading
the feedline of an 80/40 dipole.

Jim Lux has given you excellent advice re: proximity to noise and
RFI victims, as well as to wire length. Study my RFI tutorial when
you run into problems. Obviously you'll need a good antenna tuner.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC