[TowerTalk] Shunt Fed Boom, dangers of RF in shack?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shunt Fed Boom, dangers of RF in shack?
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:51:50 -0300
Hi Guys n' Gals

I've shunt fed the boom on several antennas years ago and want to try it
again, but I am "gun shy" now.

Last winter I was using a short shunt fed tower on 160m, running 1200w in
some 160m contest and fried a bunch of stuff in my rig.  All that's on this
tower was the SF for 160m and a couple 6m beams.  The rig was an IC-736 with
2 coax feeds............Yup, you guessed it.......one for HF (which was on
160m) and one dedicated to 6m..........Did I get RF in the shack from that
or was that a coincidence?  BTW, I didn't blow a 6m RX preamp or anything. .
. it was mostly the keying cct that was affected.

What I would like to try this time is to feed the booms on a couple med
sized VHF yagis for the WARC bands.  I know the lengths and how to construct
gamma matches etc.  That's not the issue.

I am leery about doing it for fear I smoke another radio.

Can someone pse explain to me what exactly happens to the "other (ie:
original VHF) antenna" when you are feeding the actual boom of it and using
it on another band.

I have read some of the older N4KG posts about feeding the boom of the
TH6DXX on 40m but no details on what happens to all the coax lines in the
shack.  In my case some VHF and some HF. . .

TNX !

Mike VE9 Antenna Antenna
Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge